Monday, March 11, 2013

Money Saving Tip #6

Make Your Own Citrus Spray Cleaner


I saw this all over the internet and, I admit, I had my doubts. About a month ago I thought I would give it a try and I love it. I am saving money, the environment, my health, and recycling.

In my house we always have some sort of citrus fruit. Cuties (a brand of mandarin orange) are very popular are with my son so we always seem to go through them. I like all oranges and grapefruit, we also occasionally pick up lemons and limes for various things. All you need to do is keep the peel when you are done with the fruit. 


Requirements:
Citrus Peel
White Vinegar
Resealable jar

  1. Fill jar with as many peels as you can jam into it
  2. Top the Jar up with white vinegar
  3. Let the jar sit for a week or two in a cool dark place
  4. Pour the vinegar into a spray bottle
Some people like to dilute it with 50% water, if you do that I would suggest you use filtered or bottled water so you don't get the chlorine or minerals. My tap water has a high iron content and will leave water marks behind.

This works great in the kitchen and smells good too. After two weeks you barely notice a vinegar smell, but can definitely smell the citrus fruit. I have been using in all the rooms of my house.

I tend to keep a jar half filled with vinegar and as we finish the fruit I put the peels in, then I let it sit for two weeks after the jar is full.

Once you've strained out the vinegar, put the peels in your compost and your garden will love you.

The Great Spam Project - A blog all about Spam (the email type, not the edible)
Ghost of a Writer - My Personal Blog
Killer Teacup - My Online Portfolio

 

No comments:

Post a Comment